Friday, March 5, 2010

"...get us out of here now!!"

Now let’s move ahead one year.
October 23rd, 1975 to be exact.

 New Mexico Tech held three large school wide parties during the year. Due to the stress in the curriculum, the school sponsored three large mid-semester parties per school year.  In the spring it was St. Patrick’s Day, in the summer it was known as August Antics and the fall was 49er’s Celebration. This was a Thursday night, a mid week celebration and the student body was in full party mode. It was about to get strange for my best friend and myself.

Please keep in mind that this was the mid-Seventies, and what was considered the norm for our student body, probably would not be considered the norm for anyone else.

Earlier in the evening both my friend and myself had partaken of a psycheldelic substance.  As it began to take affect, we wandered down to the Ore House to drink beer and visit with friends. We had been down in the Ore House less than 20 minutes when my friend suggested we drive down to the drainage ditch systems just east of the campus. We climbed into my 1972 Pinto Hatchback and headed out.

I had just turned onto the drainage ditch road, when I noticed a light coming through the treetops on my left. I stopped the car for a moment when I noticed a large, silent craft with brightly lit windows “float” at tree top level come across the road. Behind those lit windows were the silhouettes of small individuals moving around.  At this point in time, due to the ingestion of mind-altering substances, I asked my friend if he saw anything in front of the car. I truly expected him to either laugh or ask me what the hell I was talking about; that did not happen.

My friend looked at me, and with extreme panic in his voice, said “Get us the fuck out of here, get us out of here now.” He then began to describe the same physical craft that I was and had been looking at then. Now it is extremely unlikely to have two persons have the exact same hallucination caused by chemical ingestion. It just does not usually happen. Just as my friend’s frenzy was beginning to peak, the car died. No lights, no radio, nothing. Here I lose conscious reckoning.

The next memory I have is about 9 miles down the ditch, making a left turn onto the hiway towards Carrizozo, NM. Sitting above the pavement, lighting it up with a very brilliant white light was a bright orb. My friend, who was abnormally calm now, looked up as said, “What a pretty star.” I immediately pulled a U-turn and headed back towards campus.


No comments:

Post a Comment