Thursday, April 22, 2010

Me and you and a ...Silver Disk? Remembering Grand Canyon Memories

After leaving Socorro I played in bands, met the ex, went to Nursing School and led an extremely robust existence. For the 3 years of my first marriage there were no “sightings” just awkward transitions of my body from one space to another.


The first sighting that took place after the divorce was during a trip to the Grand Canyon. I was excited about going as I had always meant to go there, but never really had the chance to do so. 


On the morning of the trip, I was loading up the car preparing for a weekend of relaxation. My girlfriend at the time and I headed out of Albuquerque going West towards Arizona via I-40. Just outside of Grants NM I felt an odd tingling at the back of my neck radiating up over my scalp. 
There, sitting about 11 o’clock in the sky, was a brilliantly reflective disc.


 It was about the size of a match head held at arm’s length. It remained motionless for 30-40 seconds, long enough for my girlfriend to see it just before it shot straight up and out of sight. She looked at me, and I said that these things sort of followed me. She had a hard time resolving what she had just seen.


We made our way thru NM and AZ, winding our way to what I still consider an awe inspiring sight. As the pine trees dropped away and the canyon walls came into view, I felt that tingling once again. I tried in vain to find the source, but I could not.


We made camp at one of the campsites along the Village Loop. We hiked most of the day taking photographs, then went back to set up camp. I had a quickset dome tent, so camp was up and going in no time. After supper, we retired to the tent and got to sleep around 11 p.m.


At 3:00 a.m., on the nose, the inside of our tent was lit up like a light bulb. The light was intense, white. So intense that you could feel the light. Just as suddenly as it was on, it was off. There was not a sound to be heard around the campground, but the tingling sensation was as strong as I have ever felt it.


On the way back from the canyon, we stopped at Barringer’s Crater. I was impressed by the site, but my girlfriend was extremely quiet. Our affair lasted 2 more months after this trip. She felt that she was never quite alone with me. At least that was her excuse.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it wierd, you are just the kind of person I would enjoy being around, yet there is none like you in my realm. Ah, humanity.

    ReplyDelete