Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Lorenzen and Zamora

~
I remember that initial drive down towards Socorro, NM.

I have to admit that I was quite excited about going to school at NMIMT. One, the school was rated 5th in the nation at that time in history, and two it was home to the sighting that changed J. Allen Hynek’s, opinion of UFOs.

My first semester was uneventful, basically adjusting to living on one’s own. I had no one to answer to but myself. Then, came the spring semester and the state Science Fair.


Since I was a freshman, I could not evaluate the participants, but I could work as security.  As we sat there, in the gymnasium, “guarding” the installations of experiments, the talk turned to the April 1964 landing.


Another students said he knew exactly what had landed in Socorro, and it was a test of the lunar module. That did not ring true with what I knew of the landing so I decided to do two things:


A) Contact UFO investigators, Jim and Coral Lorenzen at APRO, the Aerial Phenomenon Research Organization.

B) Contact and meet with Officer Lonnie Zamora.

I was successful at both.


The letter I received back from the Lorenzens was quite informative. It was 3 pages, handwritten by Coral It  included every piece of information which they had acquired during their investigation.



The time I spent with Mr. Zamora was quite informative. We went to the site, and in the ground, 11 years after the incident, were the landing indentations. The sand around them was glass-like in appearance.

This is quite telling, as they had survived the erosive properties of the desert. This alone indicated that it was highly unlikely a prank; nor did his story speak of a prank of any kind. This man was sincere, and at the time of the incident, scared.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



No comments:

Post a Comment